Mike Foley The Land 1 February, 2017
AFTER years of delays, gas developer Santos has finally submitted development plans for its Narrabri project in and around the Pilliga forest to NSW government.
The company says the project will deliver supply security and construction jobs to the State. But opponents claim the company is seeking approval to boost the prospects of the project, given Santos has written down the value of the project by $1 billion.
Santos’ major planning assessment document for the project, the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), was lodged with NSW Planning on Wednesday morning. The Department typically reviews EIS documents for several weeks before they are made public and submissions are opened.
Santos chief executive Kevin Gallagher was quoted in a statement on the Australian Securities Exchange which said had “spent time producing a comprehensive EIS so the local Narrabri community and stakeholders can be confident the environment and water will be protected as the project is developed”.
The statement said CSG be located on about 1000 hectares in and around the Pilliga forest near Narrabri. About 60 percent of the project area covers land set aside by State government for forestry, the rest on privately held farmland. Santos signed a statement to government and farm groups which committed not force entry on any privately-held land.
The Greens NSW Resources and Energy spokesperson Jeremy Buckingham said today that Santos’ lodgement of plans for their Narrabri project would reignite the war over coal seam gas in NSW and called on the called on the new NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, to clarify whether she will support the development of a toxic coal seam gas industry in NSW.
Santos announced today that they have lodged their Environmental Impact Statement for their proposed Narrabri coal seam gas project with NSW Planning as well as a deal with the APA Group to build a new pipeline to connect the project to APA’s existing pipeline between Moomba and Sydney.
Santos today submitted the State Significant Development Application and associated Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for its Narrabri Gas Project to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
The proposed Narrabri Gas Project, located in North West NSW, could supply up to 50% of NSW gas needs and provide significant benefits to the region and the state more broadly. Santos will make the gas available to NSW and the east coast domestic market via a pipeline linking into the existing Moomba to Sydney Pipeline. The pipeline will be constructed by APA Group and will be subject to a separate approval.
Bell Oil & Gas Consulting Pty Ltd
By Natasha Robinson Posted yesterday at 2:23pm ABC News
Landowners from Narrabri on the state's north west slopes are asking the NSW Court of Appeal to overturn a decision that gives the green light to a controversial water treatment facility.
Gas giant Santos has been given approval to operate the facility, which would treat wastewater and brine from coal seam gas exploration activities near the Pilliga State Forest.
Jamieson Murphy July 7, 2016 Northern Daily Leader
WHITEHAVEN Coal is attempting to water down the approval conditions at the Maules Creek mine rather than fulfil them, concerned residents say.
The company must transport 90 per cent of the mine’s workforce to and from the facility via shuttle bus – in April last year it was fined $3000 for failing to do so.
Whitehaven says it is not necessary to apply a new condition to its Maules Creek mine preventing blasting when the winds blows in a north westerly direction.
Two local farming families have asked the mine to stop using the explosives when the wind blows across their properties.
The Environment Protection Authority is conducting audits of noise, air and blasting operations on the site.
The company's CEO, Paul Flynn says while the mine agreed to a similar condition at its Werris Creek mine, the situation is different at Maules Creek and is not needed.
He is speaking to Kelly Fuller on ABC New England North West after the ABC Australian Story on the situation:
Kate Ramien June 27, 2016, Namoi Valley Indpendent
WHITEHAVEN Coal is seeking a change in its original development approval that would allow more private vehicles to access the Maules Creek mine site.
The coal company’s original condition of approval required it to transport 90 per cent of its mine workforce to and from the site using a shuttle bus, however due to the high percentage of employees now living locally, bus services have become less convenient.
Australian Story By Jennifer Feller
Life changed dramatically for the Murphy family when exploration for an open-cut coal mine began right next door to their property at Maules Creek, NSW.
Now that the mine is operating, Pat Murphy claims that he and his family are being affected by noise, dust and blast fumes. He says he wants to move, but that State government regulations have left him in limbo.
ABC New England North West #agforceoz Liverpool Plains Youth
Farmer Pat Murphy and his family moved to their 'dream property' at Maules Creek in New South Wales seven years ago.
They were optimistic about the future, with plans to sub-divide their farm, run sheep and grow crops including barley and wheat.
The location was close to towns and a school for their young children.
But life changed dramatically for the Murphy family when exploration for an open-cut coal mine began right next door, just a year after they'd arrived in the area.
Now that the mine is operating, Pat Murphy claims that he and his family are being affected by noise, dust and blast fumes.
He says he wants to move, but that state government regulations have left him in limbo.
Lynn Pinkerton June 25, 2016 The Border Mail
Thousands of cars lined the roads across the country on Saturday as part of the Lock the Gate Coal Seam Gas protest.
Started by the Coonabarabran community last year, the peaceful roadside protest went national in just its second year running, the week before the federal election.
Following the success of last year coordinators had planned to hold the protest on July 2, however when the election was called they changed the date.
The Chronicle 16 June 2016
IN the first ever legal challenge against federal coal seam gas approval, a green group has taken on a Santos' 6100 CSG well expansion in Queensland.
The Western Downs Alliance has commenced legal proceedings which will challenge the Federal Environment Minister, Greg Hunts' approval of 6100 wells in Queensland.
The Santos GLNG Gas Field Development Expansion expands across almost 1 million hectares of land, from Roma east to Taroom and Wandoan, and north towards Rolleston.
The community group has lodged a case in the Federal Court of Australia against the approval under the national environmental law, arguing that the minister's approval was unlawful.
They say he ignored plans by Santos to discharge large volumes of CSG waste water into the Dawson River.
Breaking News Tony Windsor Press Release.
Tony Windsor has today questioned how Barnaby Joyce can claim to fight for maintenance of clean and secure water, following analysis of Australian Electoral Commission donation disclosures which shows the federal Nationals took $80,360 from Santos beginning 15th September 2011, three days after the federal ‘water trigger’ legislation was introduced by Mr. Windsor.
“How can the people of New England, many of whom are deeply concerned about the possible impacts on their properties and groundwater systems contamination from Santos and other CSG companies, believe Mr. Joyce when he is being funded by the very company they are fighting? This is the very definition of a conflict of interest,” Mr. Windsor said.
Haley Sheridan June 3, 2016, The Northern Daily Leader
IT’S the television program that could make or break even the hardest of hitters in federal politics and it will broadcast live from Tamworth on Monday night.
The producers and crew from ABC’s Q&A program are gearing up for its telecast from Tamworth War Memorial Town Hall this weekend, which will see member for New England Barnaby Joyce go head-to-head with his nemesis and independent candidate for New England, Tony Windsor.
Also on the panel is Opposition spokesman for agriculture, fisheries, forestry and rural affairs, Joel Fitzgibbon; National Farmers Federation vice-president Fiona Simson; and farmer and business leader Robbie Sefton.
Heath Aston Sydney Morning Herald June 5 2016
Fossil fuel giant Santos has submitted new plans to drill for coal seam gas in the heart of Australia's richest farming country, the Liverpool Plains - an area inside Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce's hotly-contested seat of New England.
Documents lodged with the NSW Government show the Australian miner has set out a three-year program to explore for gas in "PEL 1", one of its most valuable "petroleum exploration license" areas.